Lets just get it out into the open right away.
Salad is usually not a healthy meal these days and even worse it is a TRAP that preys on peoples lack of knowledge.
How can this be? We have all been taught to think that eating a Salad is the healthiest possible option.
Lets look at all the stuff that goes into a typical “SALAD” these days
- Leafy Greens such as Spinach, Cabbage, Lettuce, Arugula, green peppers etc..
- Celery, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Onions, Mushrooms
- Chicken Breast, Lean Steak and Fish
- Clean Dressing such as Vinegar, Lemon or Lime Juice
- Good Fats such as Avocados, Cashews and Nuts
- Thick Dressing: Loaded with Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup and bad fats
- Croutons and Taco containers: bread and white flour products are useless carbs
- Beacon bits: useless fats
- Taco Meats: some salads have very low quality meats thrown in that you would NEVER eat alone.
- Sour Cream: useless fat
The UGLY Truth about Salad
Wow. All that stuff is pretty bad for you. Salad started off great but over time it has been corrupted to be a Guilt Trap. The unhealthy stuff they add makes a Salad a far worse meal than what you would have normally had most of the time.
There is a fine art to Salad. Later I will share some of my favorite Salad recipes. For now always been on guard whenever you see or hear Salad. Keep the above list in mind and you can begin to enjoy Salad as a truly healthy and delicious meal.
Just avoid the bad and go for the Good.
What about Fruit Salad?
Fruit is great but beware that it should be enjoyed only at the beginning of the day, otherwise all the sugar in it will get stored as fat.