Gatorade used to be a favorite drink of mine after a workout before I learned how to read nutrition labels.
Lets anyalyze the label of a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. All the Flavors are the same as far as how fat they make you. Lets brake down this label bit my bit. The highlighted parts are our focus.
- 14 Grams of Sugar in each serving and this 32 oz bottle has 4 servings of 8 oz each. That means you will get 56 Grams of Sugar from this one bottle of Gatorade.
- If you consume 56 grams of sugar every day for an entire year you will gain about 42lbs of fat.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup. Not all Sugars are created equal and we now know how fructose metabolizes instantly into belly fat and is basically poison. Gatorade calls it fructose syrup on their label not high fructose corn syrup. This is to mislead you, but they are exactly the same. Most of the sugar in Gatorade is from High Fructose Corn Syrup which metabolizes to fat instantly, even faster than if you consumed actual fat, much faster actually. Thus drinking on bottle of a 32 oz of Gatorade once a day for a year will make you gain more than 42 lbs of fat. Closer to about 50 grams of fat a year, all of it belly fat as your body will coat the toxic high fructose corn syrup with fat which collects in your midsection.
- MSG: The FDA doesn’t require food companies to directly label the toxic food additive MSG on their labels. Whenever you see “natural flavors” it almost always means MSG is in the drink. The effects of MSG are out of scope for this article but rest assured it is one of the most toxic chemicals in food today and your body will attempt to neutrilize it by coating it with mucus which will clog up your colon and with fat which will go right to your belly.
The Final Word
The combination of 56 grams of Sugar from High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG means your liver is being poisoned twice and your body will rapidly create belly fat. Avoid it at all costs.
If you just ran a 26 mile marathon and are near death then perhaps it is okay, as your liver will rapidly replenish itself with the sugar and most of it will be used. If you have not run a death defying race then avoid this poison.
Replacements for gatorade include
- green tea
- black coffee
- any good complex carbohydrate such as a quinoa or brown rice