Cholesterol is a vital component of every cell in your body and is essential to good health.
“Numerous studies have shown that high certain kinds of cholesterol have been linked to heart disease”. We hear that industry line constantly so much so that we have been taught to avoid Cholesterol at all costs.
- Which studies and who funded them?
- What kinds of cholesterol exactly and where do they come from?
- How exactly has it been linked to heart disease?
I am writing this because a good friend of mine from Jui Jitsu class confided in me that he has not had a single egg yolk for over a decade for fear of getting to much Cholesterol. Before we answer the above questions lets first get clear on what cholesterol actually is.
A few surprising facts about Cholesterol…
- Cholesterol is a Steroid!
Cholesterol is actually the most common steroid found in the human body. Steroid is a loaded word and it complciates the picture for most people other than bio chemsits. Don’t worry, Cholesterol won’t make you a huge muscle head nor will it kill you. Other examples of Steroids are Testosterone and estrogen. Our body makes them everyday and they are critical for life. If you want more clarification then read my article on Steroids, benefits, side effects and politics.
- Cholesterol is found in every cell of your body. It is an essential structural component of mammalian cell membranes, meaning you would literally fall apart without it. Other uses for it include making bile for digestion, creating all the hormones of your body and producing vitamins.
- Cholesterol is so important to life functions that your body actually makes it’s own supply. 25% of Cholesterol is made in the liver, the rest is made in the digestive tract, adrenal glands and reproductive organs.
- Human breast milk contains high levels of Cholesterol, all kinds of Cholesterol. Is nature trying to kill babies via heart disease ?
Why then has Cholesterol been made out to be such a horrible thing?
The answer becomes clearer when we see the link between cholesterol and fat. Fat has been a health boogeyman even before Cholesterol was. The whole no fat health craze began in the early eighties and now Cholesterol has been added to the mix. The following facts will make the picture clearer.
- Fat has been made out to be principal health enemy #1 since the 80′s low fat craze.
- Both Fat and Cholesterol is found in cheese, egg yolks and all kinds of meat, including fish.
- Since then Childhood Obesity has become an epidemic, diabetes, heart disease and obesity rates have skyrocketed.
It seems that their advice isn’t helping.
How did we get so sick so fast?
The answer lies in simple economics. The food companies all jumped on the government sponsored fat free health craze, which many health experts were against. The problem with fat free processed foods is that they taste horrible. You can make a dish fat free in your kitchen and work the taste in with good old fashioned home cooking but in a factory that doesn’t work. So how did the food companies keep their products tasty while still being fat free? They added sugar, lots of sugar and the worst kind of sugar. This is how we have come to find poison like high fructose corn syrup in nearly everything on the supermarket shelf, from ketchup to soda to bread to baby food! Read my article on how sugar has poisoned America and you will see what the real enemy is.
The average American got about five lbs of sugar a year at at the turn of the century (1900) A hundred years later and we are up to about 250 lbs of sugar a year for each man woman and child, alot more for minorities. The human body can not handle such quantities of sugar and obesity, heart disease and diabetes are the result. Sugar on this level cannot be found in nature yet fat can. The human body is much more able to handle the intake of fats than sugar. If you read my article on sugar you will see that the most common sugars put into our foods are turned into fat many times faster than actual fat. Eating a brick of lard a day would be better for you than having a few soda’s. This is not an exaggeration.
What do we do now?
Blaming any one food is not the answer. avoiding, fat, sugar or whatever else they come up with is not the answer. The answer is to avoid processed foods. To eat real whole foods only, as raw as possible. Go have that egg yolk and if your doctor bitches at your for high cholesterol then tell him to shut the fuck up and lose his gut, then talk. I could post to medical studies that have linked better health to high cholesterol but all that is pointless. The questions above are answered by knowing that medical studies are now an exercise in industry funded advertising. Look to common sense to know what is good for you. Anything from nature is good for you.
Mothers Milk and Eggs are sources of life that have sustained this planet and yet they are extremely high in Cholesterol. Don’t worry about good Cholesterol, bad Cholesterol or good fats and bad fats just eat real foods untampered with by corporate executives. Doctors cannot help you either, they are just certified drug dealers citing industry funded studies. We must learn how to eat right, how we were meant to eat and be nourished by the planet.
I am now in the process of testing the Savant System, a guide on how to Nourish yourself to good health, six pack abs and all that we deserve. I will publish details soon.