I was recently introduced to Buffalo meat and I can’t ever go back to beef.
Benefits of buffalo meat ( also known as Bison )
- Bison tastes better than beef. It has a lighter sweeter more lively flavor and does not taste gamey
- Bison has 70-90% less fat than beef. There is never that greasy taste in your mouth.
- Bison has 50% less cholesterol than beef. Big bonus to heart health.
- Bison has 25% more protein than beef. This makes it an awesome food for building lean muscle.
- Bison has incredibly high iron levels for meat which lead Reader Digest magazine to list it as a top 5 food for women.
- Bison is rich in the essential fatty acids.
- Bison has no steroids or hormones added. The FDA forbids it so we can count on Bison always being free of feminizing hormones.
- Bison is almost always grass fed so we can eat it with good karma.
- Bison also has uncommonly high levels of zinc, phosphorus, niacin, vitamin B6 and B12
- Did I forget to mention bison tastes amazing!
Where you can get Bison meat
The buffalo herds are making a comeback thanks to private ranches. They were nearly wiped out with the Indians. You can get Bison meat at
- Your local farmers market
- Wholefoods has excellent deals on 1lb packages North Star Bison for less than 6 bucks!
- If you live in California, you can order Bison from one of the oldest Bison ranches in the USA, Linder Bison Farm
- Checkout the National Bison Associations Buyers Guide for a Bison source near you.