Acai is a berry found in the Amazon.
This little berry is getting amazing hype as a weight loss super food. Countless supplements have come into the market claiming to be Acai based. Many people have tried these acai weight loss supplements at very high cost. Lets look at Acai over all and then analyze it’s value as a weight loss agent.
- Benefits Of Acai
- If Acai has all these Benefits how can it be a scam
- Where did all the Acai Hype come from
- Can these Acai Supplements help you lose weight and are they worth the cost
- How these Acai Supplement Scams work
- The Acai Supplement Scam Offers
- Acai Alternatives
- The Final Word
- Anti-Aging: Antioxidants help slow aging by protecting your body from rouge molecules that damage cells. The antioxidant score of food is measured by its ORCA score.(Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) foods*.ORAC is a lab measurement of how well antioxidants can neutralize free radicals in your body. The higher the value, the better your body utilizes it to fight the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Açaí has become recognized as one of the world’s highest ORAC
- Açaí has ten times the antioxidant levels of grapes and twice that of blueberries*.
- Further, the USDA recommends you consume 3,000 to 5,000 ORAC units per day*. But if you’re average, you only get about 1,000 units daily.
- More Energy: Surfers and athletes rave about Acai berries and they spread the word in the beginning. Real Pure Acai berries when eaten give you prolonged stamina and endurance.
- More youthful skin: Eating unprocessed Acai berries straight from the tree has been known to smooth skin and give people a glow about them. Thank the essential fatty acids in the berry for this.
- Protein: Acai has more protein than an egg per gram.
- Digestive Health: The fiber found so plentifully in Acai helps to promote the health of your digestive tract.
- Hearth Health: Photosterols found in plan cell walls help to maintain optimal cholesterol levels and thus improve circulation and cardiovascular health.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Acai has unusually large quantities of A, B1, B2, B3, C and E*.
- Açaí has as muchVitamin C as blueberries*.
- Acai has more than 1000 IU’s of Vitamin A per 100 grams*.
- Acai also has potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc*.
While Acai is indeed a superfood that has great benefits to health, beauty and youthfulness it is also very fragile, hard to obtain and thus expensive.
Acai is found at the tops of Acai palm trees in the Amazon. Acai berries grow in clusters at the tops of these very tall tree’s, some as tall has 80 + feet. The only way to get them is to pay a daring soul enough to make the climb up and down. This makes acai a very expensive food. Acai is possibly the most expensive superfood on earth.
The other big issue is that Acai is very fragile. Acai quickly breaks down and rots once picked. It must be eaten fresh right away. If you try and ship it , it usually is no good before it even leaves the port. Try and fly it and it won’t last the flight across the equator. For these reasons they have developed methods of flash freeze drying the berries to survive shipment. This process destorys many of Acai’s minerals and proteins.
The Acai we get here is usually processed even more once it gets stateside. They also add all manner of sugars, juice fillers and preservatives to it. The sugars and other fruit juice fillers counteract many of Acai’s natural benefits. All that additional sugar won’t lead to weight loss but rather weight gain.
In short, the only Acai that is beneficial to you is the pure Acai berry and that can only be found in the Brazilian Rain Forest. What we have here is just fruit juice with some trace elements of Acai thrown in. Read my Fructose Wars ,Why Fat is not a Choice article to see why fructose and the fruit juices it is found in are so bad for you.
Where did all the Hype come from?
On the “Oprah Winfrey Show,” two doctors — dermatologist Dr. Nicholas Perricone and heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz – have both put the spotlight on the acai berry as a superfood. The Perricone Promise* Since then sales of Acai have gone from $435,000 in 2007 to $13.5 million in 2009. A flood of Acai products have followed, most of which claim to help you lose weight.
Can these Acai supplements help you lose weight and are they worth the cost?
NO and NO
As with most amazing discoveries, there has been a huge push by unethical business people to profit off the hype. These Acai supplements don’t just claim you may lose a few pounds. These unscrupulous offers claim you can lose up to 30lbs a month without doing anything expect paying for these pills and taking them. Even worse than these outright and COMPLETELY UNSUBSTANTIATED LIES is how they steal your money outright.
The Acai Rebilling Scam
The Free Shipping and monthly re billing are the most insidious parts of this scam.
First they offer the product free and just ask for $2.00-$5.00 for shipping and handling. They don’t want the measly few bucks, they want your credit card details. Once they get your credit card info they will bill you every month and never stop. The only way people have canceled these charges is to cancel their credit cards.
According to an ABC News Report:
“FWM Labs, based in Hollywood, Fla., maintained a Web site promoting acai capsules. The site offered a “free” sample for a nominal fee for shipping and handling. What followed, authorities say, were unauthorized $80 monthly credit card charges that couldn’t be stopped. WPLG, ABC’s Miami affiliate, tried to talk with the company in person — and was referred to the company’s attorneys. Alleged victims said they had to cancel their credit cards to get charges to stop. FWM finally agreed to pay $200,000 in penalties, refund millions to customers and stop its allegedly misleading marketing.”
How these Acai Supplement Scams work
The people that make these ads are smart and very experienced in selling and exploiting peoples lack of knowledge. Here are some of the tactics they use.
- Outrageous Weight Loss Claims: These acai scams will claim that you can lose 30lbs in 30 days or far more just by taking these pills.
- False claims about various other benefits such as wrinkle smoothing, anti aging and more energy. The acai we get here is so watered down and processed that is barely gives any health benefits other than a decent antioxidant value.
- Lure you in with a Free Trial, Money Back Guarantee and cheap or Free Shipping only to automatically charge your card anywhere from $60.00 to $120.00 dollars a month.
- If you try and get the subscription billing stopped it is nearly impossible. You will go through hell to stop them from billing you. They hide their numbers and their call centers are usually in India run by clueless operators.
- Claims or makes it seem like Oprah, Dr. Oz or Dr.Perricone has endorsed their product. If you even see their pictures or stock pictures of doctors smiling then avoid the product.
- Fake News sites. If you come to what seems like a local news tv website touting some special Acai investigation then you know it is a scam. Avoid these like the plague.
- Whenever you see a beautiful woman with a flat tummy smiling or a ripped and tanned dude with six pack abs you know it’s totally fake.
- Fake Testimonials: The testimonials you see for all these products are 100% fake. They either buy pictures of actors to use or pay actors and take pictures of them and hire someone to write the copy.
- Creating the feeling of scarcity with timers and limited time nonsense.
- Silly psychological sales tricks like “Warning, this product is only for those who want to lose a lot of weight, not just a few measly pounds. This is what they call the push-pull technique in psychological manipulation.
- Celebrity endorsements: These scams also put up pictures of celebrities and claim that Acai is sweeping Hollywood. IF you read their words carefully you will see that they are very cautious in their wording and are technically not lying. If just celebrity however minor has tried Acai once then they are technically not lying. Disgusting and unethical.
Look at the below offers and you will see their methods very clearly. These are some of the most popular Acai supplements on the markets. Millions of people have tried these products and I doubt any of them have lost even a pound of weight because of any of them. They have built good word of mouth hype by stretching the words of the doctors featured on Oprah but in reality these products have very little Acai in them and having a handful of blueberries would give you far more benefit than a room full of these pills.
- Acai Berry Blast
- Acai Optimum Weight Loss Formula – Free Trial
- Acai Power Blast
- Acai Pure Weight Loss Free Trial
- Acai Pure Ultra for Men
- Liquiboost Acai
The below give you far more value for your dollar as far as antioxidants go.
- Black Beans
- Concord Grapes
As Dr. David Katz, associate clinical professor of public health and medicine at Yale University stated in this article:
“You get more bang for the buck by just eating more fruits and vegetables.”
Acai is not a weight loss aid!
If you try and use these Acai supplements for weight loss you will almost certainly put on more weight because of all the sugars, juice fillers and preservatives in these Acai supplements. Acai is truly a super food and should be enjoyed as close to it’s pure form as possible. Any pills or supplements you hear about are bogus. If you want to lose weight fast then you must be willing to bring your nutrition as a whole to a new level.